A crown is a restoration that encases the entire visible portion of the tooth above the gum line. Most commonly used to protect and strengthen teeth that are broken, worn, or have portions destroyed by tooth decay, crowns can also improve a tooth's appearance or enhance its alignment.
Porcelain crowns are a popular option for our patients at Smiles of Midtown because they mimic the translucence of natural teeth and are very strong. This material can be tinted to match the color of your teeth to create a more aesthetic look. After the tooth is prepared and shaped for the crown, the crown is secured with dental cement. To care for your crown, brush and floss regularly and schedule regular check-ups and cleanings with the dentist.
Reasons for Choosing Dental Crowns
- To protect the structure of a tooth that is damaged by decay or injury
- To restore a broken tooth
- To cover up a tooth that is discolored beyond repair with bleaching treatments
- To replace a large filling when there is not enough healthy tooth structure remaining
- To anchor a bridge or other type of dental prosthesis
- To improve the appearance of teeth that are misshapen or misaligned
- To strengthen a tooth that has a large filling and is at risk of breaking
- To provide support for a tooth with a large cavity to prevent further damage
The Procedure for Dental Crowns
First, we will prepare the tooth for the dental crown. We will remove decay and reshape the area so that the crown can fit properly. Then, we will take an impression of the tooth that will be sent to the lab for fabrication. The dentist will make a temporary crown to protect the prepared tooth while your permanent dental crown is being created.
During your second appointment, we will remove your temporary crown and place the permanent one in its place. We will ensure that it fits correctly and that you are comfortable using it. We will also further adjust the shape as needed to ensure your bite feels natural.
The Benefits of Dental Crowns
There are several benefits to having a dental crown placed over a tooth damaged by decay or trauma. For starters, it provides an extra layer of protection from further damage. It also restores the tooth's appearance, so it is no longer discolored or damaged.
Plus, a custom-made crown can last a lifetime if properly maintained with routine visits to our dental office for examinations and professional cleanings.
Once in place, the crown functions like a regular tooth and requires the same care to promote good oral health. For the best dental care, visit Smiles of Midtown at 3600 San Jacinto St, Houston, TX 77004, or call (713) 523-6848 to schedule an appointment.